If you are thinking of bike riding for weight loss then the first place to start is to set some weight loss goals. Research shows that goal-setting hugely increases your chances of success. So, make sure that you set some SMART goals.
Let’s have a look at exercising for weight loss; A loss of one pound of fat requires you to burn 3500 calories. So, if you want to lose one pound every week, you will need to burn 500 calories per day.
The best way to do this is to add some exercise to your daily routine. If you already exercise and your weight loss has plateaued then maybe it is time to increase the amount of exercise you do.
Figuring out how fast you want to lose pounds can help you determine how many calories you really want to burn. If you choose bike riding as an exercise, this, in turn, will tell you how long you need to pedal for.
Bike Riding for Weight Loss and Other Benefits
There are many benefits of bike riding.
Firstly, anyone can do it, even for an extended period of time.
Secondly, cycling is joint-friendly. So, using your bike to exercise is a great option, especially if you have osteoarthritis in your knees, hips or back.
Unlike running, in which beginners have to stop and rest every now and then, bikes direct you to exercise for longer. Thus, you’re able to burn many calories from the start.
Choosing to exercise on a stationary bike at the gym will allow you to exercise in absolutely any weather as well as help you monitor and keep track of your speed more accurately.
Bike Riding and Weight Loss Intro by our very own Doc
How long do you have to actually do bike riding for Weight Loss?
Using a bike to help you lose weight can be very simple.
Researchers recommend doing moderate to intense cardio 30 minutes per day, 5 days a week.
Or if you want to do some vigorously intense cardio, you can consider doing 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week.
Moderate intensity exercise would rate a 7 or 8 on a 1 to 10 perceived exertion scale. In addition, vigorous exercise would be closer to a 9 on that scale.
Keep in mind that the harder you work, the more calories you will burn which, in turn, leads to faster weight loss. Your goal should be to burn around a minimum of 3500 calories per week .
What type of bike should I buy for exercise?
As we all know, there are several types of bikes out there.
However, the key to finding a bike that actually fits your riding style will be as simple as a trip to your local bike store.
Beforehand, do some research, read some online forums, and think about what bike suits you and what type of bike-rider you will be.
Questions that you can ask yourself include:-
- Do you prefer to ride on pavement or grass, sand or mud trails?
- Do you like to cycle up and down hills or prefer to stay on level ground?
- Are you in a cycling group? Will you be cycling alone or with others?
- Do you plan to cycle to work on the bike?
- Are you planning on racing?
- Does my budget include accessories such as bottle holders, lock, helmet, fenders etc?
- Does the shop provide servicing after buying?
- Is there a warranty?
- Is the bike the right size for me?
A few more tips on Bike Riding for Weight Loss
It doesn’t matter what type of bike you prefer to ride, aim to get at least half an hour of reasonable paced physical activity per bike riding session.
You may also think about varying your routine as well.
Just because you are bike riding for weight loss you can do other activities too to give your muscles a break. For example, swimming and dancing are both fun physical activities too.
The Convenience of bike riding for Weight Loss
Bike riding is a fantastic way to travel around your neighbourhood; to work, to school, or to run some errands.
You can burn more calories doing something you would do anyway such as simple errands.
In addition, bike riding to and from work or school allows you to blend this healthy exercise into your daily routine without excessive disruption.
Bike riding for weight loss is a great way to support your weight loss goals. Great choice!
Further Reading by Moose and Doc
- Beach Volleyball: A great Activity for Weight Loss
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Weight Loss: Does this simple magical elixir really help you to drop those pounds
- Protein shakes for weight loss: Take a protein shake after your bike ride to boost weight loss.
- Yoga for Weight Loss: Add a bit of yoga to your physical exercise routine and feel the benefits
- How to lose weight extremely Fast: 4 easy Top Tips on changing your diet and having some intense weight loss.
Further Further Reading
- Index of ALL our Articles on Weight Loss
- ALL our Articles on Diets for Weight Loss
- Help with Anxiety Articles
- Healing Foods for Diseases: ALL our Articles
- Body Mass Index: All our Calculators and Articles
Return to Homepage