In this post we are going to accumulate all the knowledge learnt along the way on the Halls.md site about how to lose weight fast.
If you are interested in losing weight and want the most recent scientifically-proven advice, then you have come to the right place.
To achieve a healthy weight it may be useful to begin with some calculations about how overweight you are right now.
Then you can devise a healthy weight loss plan and track your progress. See how you compare to others with Dr.Halls very own calculators.
The 8 Step Plan on how to lose Weight Fast
Step #1: Calculate your current weight and set your weight-loss goals
Having a good starting point is essential to setting your weight-loss goals.
Numerous studies have shown that setting out clear weight loss goals can help you lose weight.
Find out your current weight and Body Mass Index (BMI) figure out your ideal weight and start using the Weight loss percentage calculator to track your progress.
Calculators and charts for you to Use
- Body Mass Index Calculator Find out your Body Mass Index (BMI). Simply enter your weight in kilograms or your weight in pounds and your height, age and gender and you will know your BMI
- Body Mass Index (BMI) and Body Weight Comparison Calculator Find out how your Body Mass Index compares to others of the same age and height.
- Ideal Weight Calculator Discover what your ideal weight is.
- Average weight for women Chart Ladies, find out how your weight compares to others of the same age and height.
- Average weight for men Chart Men find out how your weight compares to others of the same age and height.
- Weight Loss Percentage Calculator Enter your starting weight and current weight and see your weight loss in percentage format. Keep a track of your weight loss progress
A Food Diary aids Weight Loss: Fact!
Step #2: Start a food Diary
Enter everything you eat and drink in a food journal or food diary before you start your diet plan. You’ll get a reality check about how many calories and grams of fat you consume.
It will wake you up and help you cut back a lot easier than not keeping track at all. A 2008 research study on a group of 1,685 overweight and obese volunteers found this. Those who kept a food diary recording everything they ate and drank for six days lost twice as much weight as those that did not keep a food diary.
The single best way to lose weight?
The same research study showed that the best possible way to predict quick weight loss success is to keep track of what is eaten and drank every day. The number of pounds that dieters lost was directly related to the number of days they wrote in their food journal. Find out more about how to get motivated for weight loss and keeping a food diary before you start your weight loss plan.
Step #3: Change what you eat.
Our advice for fast weight loss that is sustainable is to avoid fad diets, (we’re talking the cabbage soup diet, lemonade diet, south beach diet, the alkaline/acid diet etc.) and try instead to switch to a healthy eating plan.
A healthy eating plan involves cutting out sugar, all refined carbohydrates and processed foods. Concentrate on plenty of fruit and vegetables (especially low-carb vegetables) lean meats and fish and a high fibre intake.
Try and choose nutrient-rich foods that are packed with vitamins and minerals but reduce your caloric intake. Look out for, and avoid, high calorie junk food low in nutrients. Swap those calorie-laden treats too for healthy snacks that aid weight loss.
Most nutritionists agree that a low-carbohydrate diet is beneficial to losing weight. You don’t have to go overboard just check out your food diary and aim to cut out sugar for the first week or two. The following week try and half your white carbohydrate intake (white bread, white pasta, rice etc).
By swapping to wholegrain products that have being proven to help you lose weight faster. A simple basic rule is to avoid most foods that come in a package or a box. High carbohydrate intake has been proven to affect your basal metabolic rate by causing spikes in blood sugar. This leads to unstable insulin levels which long term can lead to type diabetes.
Step #4: Watch what you drink.
Your food diary will help you see how changing what you drink can help you with rapid weight loss.
Watch for hidden calories in those sodas and AVOID all diet sodas as research has shown that artificial sweeteners lead to weight gain.
Furthermore, drinking soda over a 10 year period led to a 70 % increase in waist circumference (belly fat).
A bit more about Beverages
Firstly, be careful of alcohol and drink in moderation as alcoholic drinks and their mixers are packed with calories.
Secondly, the single best thing you can do beverage wise is swap to plain old water. Increasing your water intake has been proven in medical studies to help lose pounds, in addition, you will also feel less bloated as increased water intake helps with reducing water weight too.
However, the only exception to the drink water rule is caffeine. Furthermore, research has shown that beverages containing caffeine can aid weight loss. One research study showed that fat loss is increased if caffeine is drank before any physical activity. Green tea is also linked to weight loss although medical opinion is mixed on this topic.
Step #5: Sleep soundly – Not too long and not too short.
The quality and amount of sleep that you have actually affects your weight.
If you are trying to achieve a healthy weight then you should look at getting around 8 and 9 hours sleep per night.
Establish a regular bedtime and waking time routine too. Medical studies have shown that sleeping for less than 7 hours a night increases the risk of becoming obese by 27 % and sleeping more than 9 hours a night increases the chances of weight gain by 21 %.
It’s all about Quantity and Quality you know?
Anybody looking at ways to lose weight will come across all sorts of contradictory advice on the internet.
If you are looking for quick weight loss, the foods you eat are essential.
In some ways forget the low-fat diets, low-calorie diets and even the low-carb diet and look more at an all round healthy diet. Ensure that your meals include a healthy balance of all the food groups, especially proteins and are nutrient-rich.
Research has shown that consuming proteins leads to a higher resting metabolic rate which leads to fat burning and weight loss. Monitor your portion sizes too. Many people may be making exactly the right food choices but just eating too much.
One helpful tip is to change the size of your plate to a smaller one. One scientific study showed that cutting just 2 inches off the size of your plate led to a calorie decrease of 22%. So invest in some smaller plates and lose pounds.
Step #7: Eat regularly for long-term weight loss
What about medical opinion for fasting, Doc?
Get Regular Exercise
Exercise is the key to any weight-loss program. Do not be put off by images of gyms and circuit trainings.
The key to getting more active is to find an activity that you really enjoy. (Yes, sex does count!) and do it at least two to three times a week.
Getting up and off the couch, away from the TV or computer will benefit both your health and weight loss efforts.
If you really want to lose that body fat you need to turn it into muscle and the best way to do this is with some resistance training. Cardio workouts are also good but even better if interspersed with high-intensity interval training.
Recent Weight Loss Posts
- Full Index of ALL our Weight Loss Posts
- Quick weight-loss pills and Supplements: The Truth Let’s face it, a lot of us would love to achieve rapid weight loss by simply popping diet pills or weight loss supplements. Find out everything you need to know to make an informed decision on all the latest weight loss pills.
- Weight Watchers: Everything you need to know Research has shown that publicly committing to weight loss aids success. Find out why the weight watchers diet group has lasted so long and can help you achieve quick weight loss.
- Coconut Oil and Weight Loss: The Facts Can this natural virgin oil really help you as part of your weight loss diet? Is it all hype? Find out the science behind coconut oil and weight loss.
- Motivation for weight Loss: One of the keys to weight loss success is how motivated you are. Once you have conquered the mind the body will soon follow. Find out the top scientifically-proven motivational tips to show you how to lose weight fast.
- Top Tips to lose stubborn Belly Fat: Moose and Doc have looked at a LOT of research to give you a ten-step easy guide on how to lose your belly fat.
- How to lose your Face Fat and double chin
Recent Diet Posts
- Full list of ALL our Diet Posts
- The Mediterranean Way: How you can lose weight and get heart-healthy at the same time. Feed your body these lovely sun-kissed foods and watch the weight drop off.
- The HCG Diet: This is one diet that we do NOT recommend. Find out all the reasons here as to why you could be putting your health at risk.
- The Dash Diet: Now here is one that the Doc approves of. A great eating plan for life with weight loss and health benefits into the bargain.
- The Military Diet: A low-calorie strict 3 day a week diet for quick weight loss. Read our review here
- The Atkins Diet: Now this one has been around for a few years now. Controversial low-carbohydrate, high protein diet. Read our review based purely on up-to-date scientific research.
- The Paleo Diet: Stone age shenanigans – but a lot of people swear by it.
- Hollis JF, Gullion CM, Stevens VJ, Brantley PJ, Appel LJ (et al).Weight Loss Maintenance Trial Research Group (2008) Weight Loss During the Intensive Intervention Phase of the Weight-Loss Maintenance Trial Am J Prev Med. 2008 Aug;35(2):118-26 (Retrieved April 27th 2016)
- Stookey JD, Constant F, Popkin BM, Gardner CD. (2008) Drinking water is associated with weight loss in overweight dieting women independent of diet and activity. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008 Nov;16(11):2481-8. (Retrieved April 29th 2016)
Return to Homepage