Oh my Goodness! Can you believe that weight-watchers is 53 years old? Established in New York by housewife, Jean Nidetch, the weight watchers plan (registered trademark) has become an international slimming group that operates in over 30 countries.
All About Weight Watchers
One of the basic principles of Weight Watchers for losing weight is the food points system. Every food has a weight watchers point (
The weight watchers points for food is based on the nutritional value of each food, including protein, carbohydrates,
The Weight Watchers plan offers a range of healthy lifestyle plans, including on-line packages, for
The Options on the New Plan
Those signing up to the modern day weight-watchers program can mix and match options. Find what suits you best from the list below:-
- An individual assessment and personal healthy eating plan (all programs)
- Group orientation program with a weight loss coach
- Personal trainer via telephone sessions
- Weekly videos for motivation and strategy plans
- In depth action plan with personal coach for skill building
- Round the clock expert chat line
- Online support from other weight watcher members
- Weekly Weight Watcher meetings in groups
- Meal planning and recipes Weight Watcher
- Expert cooking and nutritional guidance from a personal coach
- Tracking and monitoring of weight loss tools
- Reminders and information regarding motivation for weight loss on line
- Personal support from your personal trainer to keep you motivated and on track
Prices range from $3,69 a week (mainly on line support) to € 10,15 a week.
Weight Watchers: Does it actually Work for Weight Loss?
Several studies over the years have shown that the Weight Watchers program does work.
One 2012 study, for example, followed 1,605 people taking part in the Weight Watchers plan in the US. The average weight loss overall was 1.9 kg. 20 % of the Weight Watcher’s lost 5 % of their body weight. The study suggested that the more meetings that were attended the greater the weight loss success.
A more recent study published in the American Journal of Medicine compared the weight loss success of dieters on the Weight Watchers program to those using self-help methods. The weight loss in the Weight Watchers group was significantly greater than those in the self-help group.
The study showed that the Weight Watcher participants were 8 and 8.8 times more likely to lose 5 % to 10 % of their body weight. This study showed that the Weight-Watchers program increased weight loss. There was a direct correlation between increased amount of community based support (weight watcher meetings) and general support (mobile phone apps and on-line support).
Why has the Weight Watchers program lasted so long?
The success of some dieters on the Weight Watchers program may be due to the group support that is provided. Scientific studies have shown, that for those trying to lose weight, making a public commitment aids success.
Weight-Watchers offer a personal coaching program and there is a large on-line community too. It has been found that those who actually attended group Weight Watcher meetings lost more weight than those who simply used Weight watchers on-line.
In addition, the higher the attendance at the meetings, the greater the weight loss for the weight watchers, that proves that mutual support and public commitment helps with weight loss. Another important factor, scientifically proven, is that weight loss goals and a personal plan are set for each individual at the start.
Food and the Smart Points plan
Unlike many fad diets, a varied nutritionally sound eating plan, allows you to eat what you fancy but encourages an increase in your intake of fruits, vegetables and lean proteins.
With the new Weight Watchers Smart Point plan you have a daily point allowance which means that you can select the odd treat or two.
You can work out your daily points allowance with the weight watchers point calculator so no need for a calorie counter. Healthy choices, however, such as most fruits and vegetables contain no points and encourage unlimited snacking on these healthy food groups.
Many foods in supermarkets are marked with nutrition facts and the Weight Watchers point content. The Weight Watchers is a healthy eating plan and there should be no need for any nutritional supplements.
Celebrities and Weight Watchers
Helping to keep Weight Watchers in the limelight is the endorsement that it has received over the years through celebrities.
Jennifer Hudson, the American singer and actress lost 80 pounds with the Weight Watchers program and became one of their ambassadors.
Oprah Winfrey, after struggling for years with yo-yo’ing weight changes and fad diets joined Weight Watchers in 2015 and lost 26 pounds later becoming a shareholder. Other celebrities jumping on the Weight-Watchers
The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal,
you can get there if you’re willing to work. Oprah Winfrey
My Weight Watcher Journey: Personal Stories
Emily’s Weight Watchers Story
Many years ago I decided to quit my office job and stay home with my children as I worked an on-line job. Things were perfect as I could spare a few hours to attend to my family’s needs. But after six months of sitting behind a desk for hours, drinking gallons of coffee, and eating plenty snacks things spiralled out of control.
My friends used to envy my flat tummy and narrow waist but now I can’t even fit into my favourite sheath dress or sport a crop top! I needed some serious help to lose weight. Thankfully I am one who thinks about my problems whilst trying to solve them.
One afternoon I found the answer that I had been looking for…Weight Watchers. This was a complete miracle for me as they took me from being overweight to a healthy place that I could never have reached by myself.
Upon registration at weight watchers international I started browsing through to see what they had to offer and I was simply blown away. These guys have excellent programs that encompass weight-loss diets, exercise, and other practices to keep you healthy and happy.
Personal coaching is one of my favourite aspects of weight watchers as the coach is able to provide tailored guidance that meets my body’s demands. Joining weight watchers was a great way for me to save my image as well as some hard earned cash through weight watchers coupons. Before joining a plan make sure that you read all the terms and conditions.
The Weight Watcher special
To me and probably millions others out there, the reason why Weight Watchers is such a great plan is that they do not put you on a fad diet plan that limits you. Whether you decide to take the program on-line or use a personal coach like I did, nobody will keep you from your favourite indulgences. Your privacy is always protected too.
A Perfect Fit
I am a food lover who cannot tolerate bland, repetitive meals so imagine my joy when my coach told me that I could eat whatever I wanted as long as there was control. You can even look at your weight watcher points at famous restaurant chains such as pizza hut.
My need for community, passion for food, desire for good health and a narrow waistline never seemed possible. But this slimming group has proved that it is indeed easy to have it all. Proper time management as well as dedication are two important lessons that I learnt. In the quest to achieve my goal weight. Another valuable lesson learnt from the program is the art of preparing a quick supper so that I can catch up on my work.
When I decided to stay at home my biggest desire was to reduce my workload. But with three little children that is easier said than done. That is why I truly appreciate the skill to whip up a quick meal and get my babies to bed early enough so that I can go back to my job in absolute silence. If my success story strikes a chord in you, don’t wallow in self-pity or worry any more as the solution is only a few keystrokes away.
Jenny’s Weight Watchers Story
I’m sure that you’ve probably seen all those Weight Watchers commercials on television. Well, I was curious and also desperate to lose 20 pounds before my upcoming wedding day in several months. I needed some serious weight-loss tips. The weight watchers diet plan seemed like a good idea.
I joined the simple start program. It was all about eating normal, healthy food in the right proportion, instead of some weird fad diet or liquid diet. The weight watchers diet actually helps you to understand eating normal proportions and eating healthy.
The best part is that I can actually follow this diet plan on-line. With all their helpful tools such as quick supper, recipes and meal plan on the original weight watchers website.
One thing that I really love is the Weight Watchers point system. It really helps you to lose weight and to stay on track without really stressing out.
Believe me, going it alone is very stressful. Sometimes, a little help is great motivation. The weight watchers team is very motivating and they even provide a personal coach to answer questions and keep you on track. I highly recommend the program to anyone that wants to lose weight.
Recent Weight Loss Posts
- Lose Weight Fast: Dr. Halls simple and effective 8 step plan to lose weight fast
- How to lose Facial Fat Fast
- How to lose Belly Fat
- Green tea and Weight loss: Fact or Fiction?
- Healthy snacks for Weight Loss
Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself. Oprah Winfrey
Turn your cant’s into can’s and your dreams into plans
Its choice – not chance – that determines your destiny. Jean Nidtech
If you can dream it, you can achieve it. Zig Ziglar
The elevator to success is out of order. You will have to take
the stairs… one step at a time. Joe Girard
Life does not get better by chance,
it gets better by choice. Jim Rohn
- Johnston CA, Rost S, Miller-Kovach K, Moreno JP, Foreyt JP, (2012) A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Community-based Behavioral Counseling Program AJM: December 2013Volume 126, Issue 12, Pages 1143.e19–1143.e24 (Retrieved March 17th 2016) http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(13)00672-4/abstract
- Madigan CD, Daley AJ, Lewis AL, Jolly K, Aveyard P. (2012) Which weight-loss programmes are as effective as Weight Watchers(R)?: non-inferiority analysis. Br J Gen Pract. 2014 Mar;64(620):e128-36. (Retrieved March 17th 2016) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24567651
- Mitchell NS, Ellison MC, Hill JO, Tsai AG. (2012) Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Making Weight Watchers Available to Tennessee Medicaid (TennCare) J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Jan; 28(1): 12–17.(Retrieved March 17th 2016) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3539041/
- Nyer PU, Dellande S. (2010).Public commitment as a motivator for weight loss. Psychology & Marketing: Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 1–12, January 2010 (Retrieved October 9th 2015) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mar.20316/abstract
- Pearson ES.(2012) Goal setting as a health behavior change strategy in overweight and obese adults: a systematic literature review examining intervention components.Patient Educ Couns. 2012 Apr;87(1):32-42. (Retrieved October 8th 2015)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21852063
- Wing RR, Papandonatos G, Fava JL, Gorin AA (2008) Maintaining large weight losses: The role of behavioral and psychological factors J Consult Clin Psychol. 2008 Dec; 76(6): 1015–1021. (Retrieved December 7th 2015)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2677901/