Healthy body fat percentage ranges based on body mass index
This abstract was presented at a scientific meeting, and reproduced on the Tanita Corporation website1. I also reproduce it here because the presentation contained the interesting data in the table below, showing the Body Fat Percentages that occur at a BMI of 25 kg/m2.
|BMI||20-39 yrs||40-59 yrs||60-79 yrs|
|20-39 yrs||40-59 yrs||60-79 yrs|
It is generally accepted than Men’s "Overweight" threshold occurs at 25% body fat (and above). So notice that when BMI = 25 in the table, the body fat % values are significantly lower than 25%. This is evidence that a BMI overweight threshold for men, should be higher than 25 kg/m2.
Women’s "Overweight" threshold is less well established, but 33% body fat is commonly used. So, notice that when BMI = 25 in the table, women’s body fat % values are already higher than 33%. This is evidence that a BMI overweight threshold for women, should be lower than 25 kg/m2.
- Taylor RW1, Jones IE, Williams SM, Goulding A. Body fat percentages measured by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry corresponding to recently recommended body mass index cutoffs for overweight and obesity in children and adolescents aged 3-18 y. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Dec;76(6):1416-21.
For unknown reasons, after I published this page in its revamped form at the end of 2014, Google wouldn’t index it. So I’ve added a few extra authority links, and removed the h3 tags that used to be here, in case it was over-optimized and now I’m adding this paragraph. So although this page is truly about body fat, it’s also a test about the effect of making the changes just mentioned. Neat eh?
Recent Body Mass Index Posts
- Body Mass Index Calculator: Find out if you are overweight with this Body Mass Index Calculator based on weight, height, age, gender and body description.
- Body Mass Index Chart for Women: Find out how you compare to other women.
- Body Mass Index: Everything that you need to know about Body Mass Index and weight and height percentiles.
- Definitions of Overweight: Everything you need to know about body mass index and definitions of overweight and obesity.
- Ideal Weight Calculator: Find out what your ideal weight is in comparison to others of the same age and gender.
Recent Body Fat Percentage Posts
- Body Fat Percentage Formula: Everything that you need to know about your percentage of body fat.
- Weight Loss Percentage Calculator: Track your weight loss with this calculator. Find out what percentage of weight you have lost.
- More about Body Fat Percentage and Race: A review of BMI measurements and body fat percentage in the white and Asian groups.